statcounter

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Things that are happening

The Professor relates,
"Friday is breakfast with my friends. They were all there. Bill is going to Paris next week to do the Picabia thing. I enjoy talking with him about the BAD Picabia’s that never make the history books. Remindes me of my bad years. First I was a “Bad Painter” and then I was a bad artist and today I am enjoying the fruit of those years. To quote Charley Sheen, " WINNER!"
 I had an MRI today on my right shoulder. I fell in November and thought I was OK but over then next two months the arm began to hurt and I went to the Dr. and he said try therapy and I did and kept on painting because that what I do and used a Tennis elbow brace on my arm and that sort of stopped the pain. After 4 weeks the therapist told me to go back to the Dr. I got a pain patch from my friend who had them for his knees since the arm was not functionimg. It worked within 1 hour. It masks the pain and I am trying not using my right arm. I am painting left-handed WCs and small Acrylics on the table. I receive MRI report next week.

I have 4 paintings hanging in the remolded  Greater East End Management District’s 0ffice on Harrisburg. Mary Margaret was president for seven years. Some of the board came by the warehouse at Mary Margaret’s suggestion to see if any of my work would look good in the remodeled building.
Here they are being transported by my professional art handlers.


 The pictures are from 1973/74  and have never been exhibited. The 4th was done a couple years ago in Santa Fe as part of a Petrogyph series.
Petroglyph Series 1 36x48 Acrylic/ Mixed media 2010

Black Hawk Trail 1973 72x48 acrylic/mixed media

Landscape with Cactus 48x60 1974 acrylic


Shin-Go-Beek 1973 42x72 acrylic/mixed media
After my MRI I drove down Main to the clump of galleries to see what was up. Not Much. One had collages with photos of rocks and birds and cutouts with words and other clever things…the owner asked if I was an artist and what did I think and I told him that the work was clever and he said it was more than clever and I said it depends on the eye of the beholder. I went next door and saw some Rausenburgesqueness which were assaulting from the noise factor or the cheapness of thought and just the overall Grad-schoolishness baddness of them all. Then the gallery with Nudes…sort of. Clever cartoons of Houston folk with  the concentration on the Large head and small body type. All brought up to the same finished big-eyed facility. I thought clever and very cute. What a good idea to invited this artist to your party. In the other room were very overpriced abstract stuff smelling of institutionalism. That night we went to George Krause’s Sfumato Nudi show on Center St. That’s smoky nude to you who know no Italian. George has been a master for 50 years. These life size photos glow with haunting and` mysterious sensuousness. Nothing clever or cute here, just the real thing, Nude as in Naked.... very sexual, comfortable, totally honest. To such works every viewer brings his or her own prejudice. Me like.


This woman reminded of this picture from Barberini Gallery in Rome by Henric Ter Brugghen
very sexy 17th Century style
 Here is a new picture.
Welcome Island 24x30 2011 acrylic





3 comments:

  1. Take care...keep going....the battery dies if we stop. And I need to schedule a day to visit you there at Tomball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earl, you are who you are. The flighty art world will flit back and forth while you forge ahead just being yourself. This steadfastness and dedication in the face of adversity and indifference will prove to be part of what makes your work endure after the clever people have been forgotten.

    The woman whom you compared to Ter Brugghen is lovely. Krause is a master, too.

    ReplyDelete